How many of us like to take our feathered friends into the bathroom when we are bathing? I know I do.
Where do we put them when they come in with us?
I know several people that put their birds on the top of the door — I know several people who put their birds on the towel rail. Myself I put Pedro on a chair away from the bath tub.
LET’S REMEMBER, BIRDS DON’T SWIM!! and very hot water will scald their feet and legs.
2 accidents I heard about….
- The feathered friend was placed on the bathroom door and then the parrot-parent remembered something in the bedroom, leaving his bird for just a moment. The bird went looking for him, and landed in the bath full of steamy hot water! On the parrot-parents return he found he was too late to save the bird. The feathered friend had drowned, the owner was devastated.
- The feathered friend was placed on the towel rail, on a towel above the bath. Again the parrot-parent had to leave the bathroom. As the bird moved, so did the towel and the bird landed in the water, but this story has a happy ending, the owner got back in time to rescue the bird from the water and all was well.
HERE ARE SOME POINTERS FOR YOU TO FOLLOW…..
- Make sure you have everything you need in the bathroom, before you move the bird…. this includes your mobile phone.
- Be in the bathroom with your bird if you are running water.
- Put towel, clothes etc close to the bath,so you dont have to make any sudden movements that might frighten the bird, the bird take off and land in the water.
- Go slowly getting in and out so you dont startle the bird.
- If your toilet is in the bathroom…. CLOSE the lid.
- Dont have water standing in the basin while you are bathing.
- Dont have open buckets of water in the bathroom if you take your bird in with you.
- Explain everything to your bird…… Water is hot!! Birds dont swim!! Be good boy in the bathroom.
- Exit the bathroom together.
- Bath time is a great time to teach new words and chat, make bath time a happy time.
MY BEST TIP: GET A CHAIR THAT CAN LIVE IN THE BATHROOM AND BE MOVED AWAY AT BATH TIME.
HERE IS A PICTURE OF PEDRO STANDING ON HIS CHAIR IN THE BATHROOM……..
ALWAYS, be safety concious in the bathroom.
LOVE THAT FEATHERED FRIEND OF YOURS!!